Di Maria forced to leave PSG game after news of robbery at his house

Football
By Mirror | Mar 15, 2021
Di Maria was taken off after news of the raid at his home. © Getty Images

Angel di Maria was taken off while Paris Saint-Germain were in the middle of a game with his family the victims of an extremely violent robbery.

Mauricio Pochettino followed him while PSG director Leonardo looked disturbed on the phone.

It emerged after the match that his house had been robbed with his family still inside.

Furthermore, RMC Sport report that the incident had turned "extremely violent" while the winger was not the only player targeted.

Di Maria's team-mate Marquinhos has also been targeted with his parents' house being burgled.

Pochettino returned to the dugout shortly after as PSG were handed a shock 2-1 defeat against Nantes.

It is believed that the Argentine's whole family was in the house at the time, including his two young daughters.

His wife, Jorgelina, was also in their Paris home at the time of the robbery.

This is not the first time Di Maria has had experiences with burglars.

While playing for Manchester United, his Cheshire house in Prestbury was the scene of an attempted burglary on 31 January 2015.

The incident played a role in his decision to leave the Red Devils after just one year.

Di Maria had just signed a new contract with PSG earlier this week, extending his stay at the Parc des Princes by another year.

Le Parisien have reported that the contents of an upstairs safe was raided in his home while a specialised robbery unit was dispatched in Neuilly-sur-Seine.

The moment Di Maria was subbed off and told by Mauricio Pochettino about a very violent robbery at his house ????pic.twitter.com/pvxoNjonf6 — ?*????????????????????*? (@GucciGazza) March 14, 2021

This is not the first time PSG players have been targeted.

Over the past 18 months, Sergio Rico, Thiago Silva, Eric Maxim Choupo Moting and others have been the victims of serious robberies.

In his post-match press conference, Pochettino did not confirm the incident but did refer to matters away from football.

March 14, 2021 Paris St Germain's Angel Di Maria in action with Nantes' Marcus Coco REUTERS

He said: "There are situations outside of football that also explain the second half.

"It is not an excuse but it brought about a reduction in energy. At full-time, we spoke about things other than football."

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS