Maradona left just Sh 600million fortune to his children

Football
By Mirror | Feb 20, 2021
Diego Maradona’s death may trigger family inheritance battle [photo courtesy]

Diego Maradona’s five ­children will inherit £4million [Sh 600 million] between them after his fortune was ­plundered, a lawyer claims.

The soccer star told pals before he died he had around £75million. [Sh10.7 billion]

But the figures that have been bandied around since his shock demise could be around 15 times more than the cash and property assets that end up being included in his inheritance, it emerged today.

Today, the lawyer acting for his son Diego Fernando, eight, claimed “hangers-on” may have pilfered his riches.

Mario Baudry said: “There’s been talk of £75million but only just over £4million has appeared in accounts along with a small apartment, an old house Diego owned and two cars.

“Diego earned a lot of money but the problem is he didn’t have it.

“The expense reports haven’t appeared so we don’t know if he spent it or if others spent it or whether it’s somewhere we don’t know yet."

Claiming a fingerprint home safe Maradona kept at the house he lived in before his hospital brain op had been tampered with, he added: “Diego thought only he could open it but anyone who touched it could.

“We’re just about to open a security deposit box at a bank that was in Diego’s name but when we go we’ll probably discover Maradona never went there.

“As Diego gave people power of attorney, they opened accounts and worked in his name.

“In Dubai he had designer watches that came with a card and a serial number.

“We’ve got 14 cards but no watches. Someone took them.”

People mourn the death of soccer legend Diego Armando Maradona, in front of the Casa Rosada presidential palace in Buenos Aires, Argentina, November 26, 2020. [REUTERS]

Maradona died last November aged 60 of heart failure after brain surgery.

Baudry, now dating Diego Fernando’s mum and Maradona ex Veronica Ojeda, made his astonishing claims in Argentinian TV interviews.

He insisted he was not pointing the finger at anyone in particular and insisted: “If he earned the millions he did, where has it gone?

“If Diego spent it, and hopefully that’s the case, there’s no problem.

“His heirs will rest easy if they’re shown that happened. But at the moment there is no paperwork to prove it.”

Claiming his relationship with Maradona was a cordial one despite his relationship with Ojeda, he added: “Diego told me in a WhatsApp audio before he died how many money he had but it was a private message and I can’t prove what he said.

“Diego’s lawyer Matias Morla has said his children were going to inherit fortunes, that there were hotels, a pasta factory and other businesses in Cuba and Venezuela but we’ve seen nothing so far to back that up.”

Diego lived in Dubai with another ex Rocio Oliva, who was banned from a family wake and Maradona’s funeral following his November 25 death from heart failure.

Last month the pretty blonde was accused of using the footie star’s credit cards after he died during an ugly war of words with Ojeda.

Oliva, whose turbulent seven-year relationship with Maradona hit rock-bottom when he alleged she had stolen hundreds of pounds of valuables from his Dubai mansion, rubbished the claims.

She was detained on an international arrest warrant after flying back to Argentina from the World Cup in Brazil in 2014 - but he subsequently withdraw his complaint after they patched things up.

Forged Diego Maradona signatures were found during a recent search of his doctor Leopoldo Luque’s home by prosecutors investigating whether the star’s death is linked to medical negligence.

The former Barcelona and Naples player had five children he recognised as his by four different women.

Three other Argentinians including teenager Santiago Lara who demanded the exhumation of Maradona’s body days after he died, say he was their dad and have launched paternity suits.

A lifelong friend of Maradona’s, Mariano Israelit, claimed recently: “When Diego returned from Mexico in 2019 he told me he had more than 100 million dollars.

“I’d love it if his children were the ones who inherited it but I don’t know where that money is now.”

 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS