Kenya Premier League: Ugandan accused of match-fixing freed

Football
By Harold Odhiambo | Feb 02, 2021
Western Stima's Oromchan Villa (left) tussles for the ball against Francis Oduor of Bidco United. [Washington Onyango,Standard]

A Ugandan national who was implicated in an attempted match-fixing of a Kenya Premier League match has been released by a magistrate’s court.

This is after the complainant in the case said he was no longer interested in pursuing the case.

Benard Kwanza, an investigating officer told Senior Resident Magistrate Winfred Onkunya that the complainant had informed him that he had opted to drop the case.

It is however unclear what informed the change of thoughts of the senior official of Western Stima Football club who had lodged the complaint about the Ugandan. He had claimed the Ugandan had promised the team Sh60,000 to lose the match.

Miheso Cliffton of Gor Mahia with Mukisa Junior of Western Stima during FKF premier league match at Moi Stadium Kisumu on January 18th 2021. (Collins Oduor, Standard)

“The complainant has decided not to pursue the matter further and we, therefore, request the court to close the miscellaneous file,” said Kwanza.

The developments came a week after the same court gave the officers a green-light to detain the suspect for five days to enable them to complete their investigations.

According to court records, the Ugandan had allegedly attempted to bribe officials of Western Stima Football club to lose a match that had been scheduled to be played at Nakuru,

He had allegedly lured a senior official of Western Stima and offered him money to influence the outcome of the match.

The manager allegedly informed the suspect that he needed to discuss the matter with his players. He, however, reported the matter to the police.

On Monday, however, the Ugandan walked to his freedom after the court declared that there was no reason to continue holding him if the complainant had opted to drop the case.

 

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS