Referee chiefs have confessed to mistakes in Sheffield United defeat- Ole Gunnar

Football
By Reuters | Feb 01, 2021
January 27, 2021 Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer [REUTERS]

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he has been informed by the refereeing body PGMOL that two costly errors were made by match officials during their 2-1 Premier League defeat by Sheffield United last week.

Solskjaer said the independent report as part of the match assessment by PGMOL revealed that Kean Bryan's opening goal for Sheffield United should have been chalked off for a foul on goalkeeper David De Gea.

Meanwhile, United forward Anthony Martial's goal was wrongly disallowed at the other end.

"The momentum shifted for us with the Sheffield United game, but I've got the delegates' report from the ref and the two decisions were wrong," Solskjaer told a news conference on Monday.

"They've admitted their goal should have been disallowed and our goal should have stood. That's a big, big momentum changer for us. When you go 1-0 up rather than 1-0 down, go on and win that game."

The defeat against Sheffield United followed by a goalless draw at Arsenal on the weekend left Soksjaer's United three points behind leaders Manchester City, who have a game in hand.

United are looking to bounce back against Southampton at Old Trafford on Tuesday, with Solskjaer hoping his attackers rediscover their "mojo" after firing blanks at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

January 27, 2021 Sheffield United's Oliver Burke celebrates scoring their second goal with Chris Basham [REUTERS]

"We created enough chances to score the goals now it's about feeling good, taking a deep breath and putting the ball between the posts," Solskjaer added.

Solskjaer said United will not be making any signings before the transfer deadline on Monday.

Phil Jones is yet to play a game this season due to injury but Solskjaer said the centre back will stay at Old Trafford and be registered in United's Premier League and European squads for the second half of the season.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS