Premier League managers want heading curbed if it leads to dementia

Football
By Reuters | Nov 20, 2020

Players should stop heading the ball in training if research proves it leads to dementia when they are older, several Premier League managers have said since the topic came to the fore following the death of England's Nobby Stiles.

Stiles and many of his 1966 World Cup winning team mates had been diagnosed with dementia before their deaths while Manchester United great Bobby Charlton, 83, also disclosed his diagnosis recently.

November 1, 2020 General view during a minutes silence in tribute to Nobby Stiles before the match Pool via REUTERS

Stiles' family hoped it would be a catalyst for addressing dementia while Geoff Hurst, England's hat-trick hero from the 1966 final, said heading the ball often in practice was dangerous and kids should not be doing it at all.

"If they find out through the research that heading the ball 10 times during training is going to cause you dementia, then let's stop it," West Bromwich Albion boss Slaven Bilic told reporters.

"For me, the great thing is they are talking about it and recognising it."

Chelsea's Frank Lampard said he is now considering how his players train and favoured rules to curb heading in youth football before implementing guidelines higher up the pyramid.

"The rules need to be stronger to make sure we're not making younger children head it if they don't need to," Lampard said.

"We have to start with youth football. When children are developing, we can control the levels of training. Anything we can do to make things safer, we should."

Aston Villa's Dean Smith, whose father was diagnosed with dementia before he died of COVID-19, echoed Bilic's views about needing more research.

"Dementia and Alzheimer's is more prevalent throughout the world now unfortunately, but I think if there is a correlation between heading a football and dementia then we need to do something," Smith said.

"The balls were heavier back then. We are all saddened about the former players who are suffering with dementia."

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS