Frustrated and confused: Lampard questions Maguire’s ‘headlock’ on Azpilicueta

Football
By Reuters | Oct 25, 2020
Manchester United v Chelsea - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - October 24, 2020 Manchester United's Harry Maguire in action with Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta [Pool via REUTERS/Oli Scarff]

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard said he was frustrated and confused that his team were denied a penalty in Saturday’s 0-0 Premier League draw at Manchester United.

Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta was grabbed by his United counterpart Harry Maguire when challenging for a header in the first half but the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) dismissed the London club’s penalty claims after reviewing the incident.

“I thought it was a clear penalty. I couldn’t see it at the time from where I was standing and those ones are hard calls for the referee. It’s why we brought VAR into the game, but VAR was very quick to dismiss it,” Lampard told reporters.

“They should have taken time and advised the referee to look at the monitor. If he watches the monitor, he has to give the penalty, so it’s confusing. There’s a frustration because the rules seemed to be moving in the right direction.

“The referees were looking at the monitor a bit more at the start of the season. The person on the pitch should always take first responsibility and that was given back to them with the monitor.”

Maguire in action with Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta [Pool via REUTERS/Oli Scarff]

The result extended United’s wait for a first league win at Old Trafford this season and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said his team were missing the energy of fans, who are not allowed to watch matches in stadiums amid the COVID-19 crisis.

But the Norwegian was encouraged by the debut of new signing Edinson Cavani, who joined United earlier this month.

“He showed in glimpses what he can do. He’ll give us a presence in the box. He’s an experienced centre forward and the more we get the ball into him in and around the box we’ll get goals from him,” Solskjaer said.

 

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS