France's Ligue 1 confirms Marseille/St Etienne match postponed

Football
By Reuters | Aug 18, 2020
July 31, 2020 Marseille's Dimitri Payet, Valere Germain and Florian Chabrolle during the warm up, following the resumption of play behind closed doors after the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Christof Stache/Pool via REUTERS

Friday's Ligue 1 match between Olympique de Marseille and Saint Etienne has been postponed until mid-September following COVID-19 cases within the Marseille club, France's Ligue 1 said on Tuesday, confirming media reports.

The LFP, French professional soccer's governing body, told clubs last week it had set up a "COVID committee" to advise on whether to postpone matches. When a club reports more than three coronavirus cases postponement is likely, based on the "COVID protocol" the LFP sent out to the clubs.

TV channel BFM and sports daily L'Equipe reported that the decision to postpone the match, the only fixture set for this Friday evening, had already been taken. LFP was not immediately available for comment.

Among the "Big Five" European soccer nations, France was the only one to end its season prematurely due to the pandemic. Paris St Germain were awarded the Ligue 1 title.

The Parisian club and Olympique Lyonnais have reached the semi-finals of the reformatted Champions League, the first time that two French teams will compete at that level. Olympique Marseille is France's only winner of the biggest prize in European football.

Almost 40 players from 11 Ligue 1 clubs out of 20 have tested positive for COVID-19, including some at Saint-Etienne, Marseille's opponent on Friday night.

Spain's Mediapro, majority-owned by Chinese private equity fund Orient Hontai, holds the rights to air the top Ligue 1 matches for the 2020/2021 to 2023/2024 seasons. In early June, it said it had agreed with TF1, France's biggest private TV operator, to form a new soccer channel to air top Ligue 1 league matches within the country.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS