COVID-19: Football return not viable says Colombia president

Football
By Reuters | Apr 23, 2020
Colombian President Ivan Duque. [Photo: Courtesy]

Colombian President Ivan Duque has dismissed the idea of restarting the county’s soccer league behind closed doors, saying to do so would endanger the health of players and staff.

“Explain to me how one can guarantee a competition with more than 20 teams and not one player has the coronavirus?” Duque said in a radio interview with the La FM station.

“Explain to me how one guarantees that in addition to the players and the coaching team, that in addition to them the whole support staff, the physiotherapists, the kit men, the transportation staff, that none of them has the coronavirus. It’s very difficult.”

The South American nation declared a public health emergency on March 12 and suspended all public events, including the main soccer leagues for both men and women. Since then, Colombia has recorded almost 4000 cases of COVID-19 and 189 fatalities.   

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS