Rooney calls pay cut pressure on players a 'disgrace'

Football
By Reuters | Apr 05, 2020
Wayne Rooney

Former England captain Wayne Rooney said the public pressure being exerted on elite footballers to take pay cuts in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic is a "disgrace", according to a report in the Sunday Times.

Britain's Health Secretary Matt Hancock said last week that

League players should take pay cuts and the Premier League said clubs were in talks over a 30% reduction.

"How the past few days have played out is a disgrace," Rooney wrote.

"First the health secretary ... said Premier League players should take a pay cut. Was he desperate to divert attention from his government's handling of this pandemic?," he added.

Rooney questioned why the Premier League had announced publicly that it was looking for its players to give up or defer 30% of their wages.

"It feels as if it's to shame the players — to force them into a corner where they have to pick up the bill for lost revenue," he wrote.

"Whatever way you look at it, we're easy targets."

Football in England has been suspended indefinitely due to the outbreak and several clubs, including Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, have furloughed non-playing staff.

Rooney, who captains Championship side Derby County, added that decisions on pay cuts should be made on a case-by-case basis.

"One player might say, 'I can afford a 30% cut'; another might say, 'I can only afford 5%,'" he said. "I don't think that would cause any dressing room problems."

The players union in England has also questioned the league's public call for wage reductions, and Rooney said players were in a "no-win situation".

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS