Ex-Chelsea boss Sarri reveals how many cigarettes he smokes in a day

Football
By Mirror | Jun 27, 2019
Ex-Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri smoking on the touchline [Courtesy]

Maurizio Sarri has admitted he smokes too many cigarettes a day.

Former Chelsea manager Sarri was known for puffing on the touchline during his days as Empoli and Napoli boss in Italy.

But the Italian was forced to quit the habit during matches when he arrived as Blues boss last summer - with smoking banned at Premier League grounds.

After he signed Chelsea made plans to build a smoking room at Stamford Bridge to allow him to get his nicotine injection on match days but didn't materialise.

Instead, Sarri chewed on cigarette butts during his season in west London, and was spotted holding a pack on the touchline during his second match, against Arsenal.

Sarri is currently being frustrated by smoking rules while on holiday in Ascoli-Piceno in Italy, with the fumes banned from the beach.

And while complaining about the restrictions while sunbathing, Sarri let slip how many fags he smokes a day.

“I smoke 60 a day, which is probably a few too many,” Sarri told La Nuova Riviera.

“I don’t particularly feel the need to smoke during games, but straight afterwards it really is necessary. I had back problems tormenting me for weeks, but I feel much better now.”

Sarri departed Chelsea earlier this month having secured Champions League football, reached the Carabao Cup final and won the Europa League, as he was unveiled as Juventus' new chief.

And while it is unknown what will happen to his smoking in Turin, Sarri will be forced to wear a Juve suit on the touchline due to a clause in his contract.

The tracksuit loving Sarri said: "I prefer not to wear a Juventus suit on the pitch.

"Off the pitch, when I represent Juventus, I am obliged to wear it and it is written in my contract.

"But on the pitch, I would prefer not to, but we will discuss it.

"The important thing, at my age, is they don't ask me to go naked."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS