Cameroon team set to depart for Africa Cup of Nations despite pay dispute

Football
By Reuters | Jun 22, 2019
Cameroon team set to depart for Africa Cup of Nations despite pay dispute.

Cameroon’s soccer team are heading to Egypt for the Africa Cup of Nations after initially refusing to board a flight because of a players’ pay dispute, the team said in a statement on Friday.

The champions face Guinea-Bissau in their opening match of the tournament on Tuesday, but the players did not appear for their flight on Thursday evening amid a spat over bonus payments.

“We are not satisfied (with the government’s proposition), but we have decided to end all negotiation concerning our premiums,” said the statement.

“We will be travelling to Egypt this Friday.”

Pay disputes before major competitions are not unusual for African soccer federations who often do not have sufficient resources to pay their players high sums. Nigeria and Ghana have experienced similar problems in recent World Cups.

Ministry of sports spokesman Gabriel Nloga said the players had each been paid a bonus of 20 million CFA francs (27,364.33 pounds). A source at Cameroon’s soccer federation said the players had asked for twice that.

Following negotiations, the ministry of sport agreed on Friday to pay each player a one-off 5 million CFA franc bonus once they have won their first match in Egypt.

Cameroon has a rich soccer history, with both male and female teams taking part in a number of past World Cups.

The women’s team was one of three African teams to qualify for the World Cup taking place in France. They face England in the last 16 on Sunday.

But the Central African country was last year stripped of its right to host the 2019 Nations Cup due to delays in preparations for the tournament and security concerns.

The Cup kicks off later on Friday with an opening match between hosts Egypt and Zimbabwe in Cairo.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS