Premier League superstar involved in bar fight after Saturday match [Video]

Football
By Mirror | Apr 02, 2019
[Courtesy]

Everton have confirmed they are investigating a video which claims to show Jordan Pickford caught up in a melee.

The incident, which was filmed on a camera phone outside a bar, shows https://cdn.standardmedia.co.ke/images of a man involved in a dispute with several other people.

The video was captured in the hours after Pickford's former club Sunderland lost to Portsmouth on penalties in the Checkatrade Trophy final on Sunday.

Punches are thrown, though it is unclear by who, and then a person is ushered away by friends as the name “Jordan” is shouted.

Everton released a statement which read: "The club has been made aware of an alleged incident involving one of our players and we are looking into the matter."

Pickford kept a clean sheet for Everton on Sunday. [REUTERS]

A spokesman has said they will offer no further comment on the matter until they have established the content of the video.

It is understood they will speak to Pickford to assess whether he became embroiled in any recent incident.

The video was posted on a Twitter account which was then swiftly deleted, but the video is still playable on accounts which retweeted the film.

There is a close up of one of the people involved in the video, but the identity of the man is not clear.

Northumbria Police has confirmed they are investigating.

"At 12:19am (Monday), police received a report of a disturbance involving a large group of individuals on Tunstall Road, Sunderland," a spokesperson said.

"Enquiries are ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident and locate those involved."

Pickford had played in Everton's 2-0 away win over West Ham on Saturday before spending a day off in his home city, where he reportedly watched Sunderland's Wembley defeat.

Last month, Everton boss Marco Silva said the 25-year-old needed to show "more emotional balance" after making mental errors in a 3-2 defeat to Sunderland's rivals Newcastle.

Pickford came through the ranks with Sunderland but joined Everton for an initial £25million when the Black Cats were relegated from the Premier League in June 2017.

He made his England debut five months later and was Gareth Southgate's first choice at the World Cup, being named man of the match in England's 2-0 win over Sweden in the quarter-finals.

Pickford, capped 17 times, played in both of England's Euro 2020 qualifiers last month.

THE VIDEO:

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS