Liverpool dealt massive blow before Champions League clash against PSG

Football
By Mirror | Nov 26, 2018
PSG duo Neymar and Kylian Mbappe [Courtesy]

Liverpool have been dealt a blow ahead of their Champions League visit to Paris Saint-Germain after the French champions hinted that Kylian Mbappe and Neymar will start.

Mbappe was hooked off with a bruised shoulder during France's friendly against Uruguay last week whilst Neymar lasted just eight minutes when Brazil played Cameroon before being withdrawn with an inductor strain.

And Liverpool fans had been hopeful that both players would be forced to sit out when their side travels to Paris for a match that will determine who takes control of their own destiny in Group C.

But PSG boss Thomas Tuchel said on Saturday that his two front-men could yet be fit to play some part on Wednesday.

Neymar and Mbappe will be fit to face Liverpool [Courtesy]

"I am more optimistic than yesterday about Ney and Kylian," said the German. "They will be able to train on Monday."

The French champions continued their flawless start to the Ligue 1 season on Saturday in the absence of their marquee strikers with a 1-0 win against Toulouse at the Parc de Princes, Edinson Cavani scoring the goal after nine minutes to move them 15 points clear after just 14 games.

World Cup-winner Mbappe has scored 13 in 13 this season including 11 in nine in Ligue 1 where he leads the scoring charts, whilst Neymar is one behind his teammate on ten league goals.

For Liverpool, Adam Lallana will be available after missing his side's 3-0 win at Watford on Saturday with a minor knock, whilst defender Joe Gomez could also return after sitting out at Vicarage Road.

Defeat for either side in Paris would spell disaster, with PSG likely to be eliminated assuming Napoli defeat Red Star Belgrade in the group's other game as expected, whilst a loss for Liverpool would need them needing to win against Napoli in their final game and hope that Red Star can take something from their game against PSG. 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS