Usain Bolt takes break from Australia football training

Football
By AFP | Sep 10, 2018
Former Olympic and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt controls the ball during a charity soccer match [Courtesy]

Sprint legend Usain Bolt’s football training has been put on hold after he flew out of Australia for a “previously planned commitment”, his A-League club has said.

The Jamaican superstar is pursuing his long-held dream of playing professional football and arrived in Gosford, 75 kilometres (47 miles) north of Sydney, last month for training with the Central Coast Mariners.

The 32-year-old has been with the A-League side for three weeks and in late August made a 20-minute cameo for the club in a pre-season game.

“Usain Bolt will be abroad from Sunday, September 9 to Sunday, September 16 for a previously planned commitment,” the Mariners said.

“This commitment was agreed between Usain Bolt and the Central Coast Mariners before his training period commenced with the club.”

The team did not say where Bolt was travelling to, but Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported that he was going to France for an event.

Bolt’s arrival has generated excitement on the Central Coast, with some 10,000 people packing the local stadium for his football debut.

The world’s fastest man has struggled with his fitness since arriving but said last month that he hoped to be ready to go by the start of the season in mid-October. 

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS