Liverpool finally sign ‘Steven Gerrard replacement’

Football
By Mirror | Jun 27, 2018
Gerrard handed Keita his Liverpool shirt in August. [Photo/Courtesy]

Naby Keita has arrived in Liverpool on Wednesday morning following his switch from RB Leipzig.

The midfielder agreed a £50m+ switch to Anfield last summer but spent last term with Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

He has now arrived on Merseyside ahead of officially becoming a Reds player on July 1.

Keita has penned a long-term contract with Liverpool and will start training on Monday when those not away at the World Cup will report for pre-season.

Liverpool's new No.8 was presented with his shirt by club legend and now Rangers boss Steven Gerrard last August when the deal was agreed.

Keita told the club's official website: “When you see how they performed last season it makes me want to do the same and to be a part of this team.

"I would like to be able to achieve a similar kind of season with them next season – but even better.

“I chose Liverpool because it is a team I watched often - and I also spoke a lot about it with Sadio [Mane]. He told me a lot about the team and the club.

“I also spoke with the coach, who told me about the project for the team and that motivated me to be here.”

The 23-year-old has impressed during his time with Leipzig and will bolster the Reds' midfield next term.

He netted 17 goals in 71 appearances for the German outfit.

Keita, a 29-cap Guinea international, previously played for Red Bull Salzburg in Austria.

Naby Keita holding his Liverpool jersey. [Photo/Courtesy]

Keita has revealed his excitement at teaming up with a squad Jurgen Klopp took to the Champions League final last season, and his delight at playing in same team as friend Sadio Mane.

“When you see how they performed last season it makes me want to do the same and to be a part of this team. I would like to be able to achieve a similar kind of season with them next season – but even better," he continued .

“I chose Liverpool because it is a team I watched often - and I also spoke a lot about it with Sadio [Mane]. He told me a lot about the team and the club.

“I also spoke with the coach, who told me about the project for the team and that motivated me to be here.”

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS