TIME TO RECLAIM DUTIES: FKF moves to regulate player licensing previously done by Kenyan Premier League

Football
By Gilbert Wandera | May 11, 2016
Kariobangi Shark's Nicholas Kavaya and Elisha Owita, left, of MOYAS FC's eyes are set on the ball during FKF Premier league at Kasarani on Sunday, March 29th. PHOTO/JONAH ONYANGO.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) has announced it will take back the process of registering players featuring in the top tier league.

The exercise has for the longest time been undertaken by the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) with the federation dealing with the other lower leagues.

But in a statement to the media, FKF says the move is part of reforms in the country and will start in June.

“The move, which is aimed at safeguarding the integrity of the sport going forward, takes effect beginning June 2, 2016 and will affect all Kenyan Premier League, National Super League and Division One clubs,” said FKF Chief Executive Robert Muthomi.

He was quick to add that the decision was arrived at during National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting on Friday and is in line with the Fifa statutes.

“According to Fifa circular number 1537 dated May 3, 2016 Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, Categorisation of clubs, registration periods and eligibility, FKF has the power to oversee all player registrations and transfers in all leagues in the country,” added Muthomi.

Muthomi revealed that in light of the circular, the federation will take over the following aspects of the registration process-registering all professional players, registering all youth, academy and women players and also administer all transfers.

They will also process all international clearance requests, liaise with all leagues in the country to maintain a central registration database and oversee all intermediary activities in the country.

Muthomi further added that for ease of registration and smooth transition, the current KPL regulations on player transfer will remain in place until a new rule book is put in place at the end of the year.

“Players who are already registered with KPL will retain their current license numbers, while those who are yet to be registered will be captured on the new FKF License.

“Come end of the 2016 season all KPL players will be licensed a fresh under the FKF License numbers, with players participating in the lower leagues, academies and FKF sanctioned tournaments also being registered during the same period,” he concluded.

KPL Chief Executive Jack Oguda said they support the new rules as it is the practise worldwide.

“We don’t have a problem. We will hand over any relevant documents to them,” he said.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS