Barcelona happy after drawing Gunners in the Champions League

Football
By Mirror | Dec 15, 2015

Barcelona are celebrating after drawing Arsenal in the Champions League.

While the Catalan giants remained polite about the Londoners, publicly at least, there is no doubt Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain were the sides they wanted to avoid when the last 16 ties were set on Monday.

A Nou Camp insider revealed: “This is the draw we wanted.

"We did not want to play Paris or Juve – but this is more straight-forward. We feel we have dodged a bullet.”

European Cup holders Barca's sporting director Robert Fernandez was more diplomatic about the Gunners, though.

He insisted: “They’re a complicated and difficult challenge, a ¬magnificent adversary.

“We have to get a good result in London. This will be very important.”

Yet for all the corporate double-speak coming from the Nou Camp directors, Barcelona-based newspaper Mundo Deportivo summed up Spanish opinion as it set its sights on the final at the San Siro in June.

“The road to Milan passes through London for Barca,” it said.

With Barca in top form, Arsene Wenger may have to pull off another Euro miracle after last week’s 3-0 sensation over Olympiacos in Athens.

Arsene Wenger's men were well beaten by Barcelona — 6-3 and 5-2 on aggregate — in the knockout stages in 2010 and 2011 respectively.

They also lost to them in the 2006 final in Paris and have beaten Barca only once in seven Champions League clashes.

Gunners legend Alan Smith admitted the draw was "the worst possible outcome. Wenger’s side must play out of their skins to stand a chance of reaching the quarter-finals.

“The obvious conundrum is: How can an Arsenal back four presumably featuring the less than nippy Per Mertesacker possibly contain the mighty threat of Neymar, Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi?

“The Gunners will need luck and every ounce of their quality to find a way past the reigning champions.”

Arsenal secretary David Miles told BT Sport: "It's not going to be easy and it's the team that most Arsenal fans would have wanted to avoid at this stage, but it's up to us to make a good fist of it.

"We've got our own world-class players and certainly we'll go in for this. It should be two fantastic games and we're very much looking forward to it."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS