Wenger dismisses claims of £200 million transfer war chest

Football
By AFP | Jul 26, 2015

Arsene Wenger has dismissed a boast from Arsenal director Lord Harris that the Gunners can afford to buy virtually any player in the world.

After several years of caution in the transfer market due to the cost of moving to the Emirates Stadium, Harris was quoted this week as saying Arsenal have a surplus of around £200 million that Wenger can dip into to bolster his squad.

Harris claimed only Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo were beyond Arsenal’s reach and he backed Wenger to break the club’s record fee of £42.5 million paid to sign Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid in 2013.

But Arsenal manager Wenger, who has so far signed only Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech for £11 million during the close-season, said on Friday that Harris’s comments were over the top. “He’s gone a bit overboard. It’s not true,” Wenger said. — AFP

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS