Muhoroni Youth and City Stars share spoils in KPL tie

Football
By Gilbert Wandera | May 10, 2015

Muhoroni Youth continued with their poor run in the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) after being held to a barren draw by Nairobi City Stars.

Muhoroni who finished seventh last season have not been able to replicate their form in 2015.

Despite the barren draw, City Stars coach Paul Nkata believes they should have done better.

Nkata says his midfielders failed to click as that would have created goal scoring opportunities. “We played well but I think we should have scored a goal or more if we made use of our skills appropriately. Our midfield experienced expensive lapse which cost my side,” he said. Elsewhere, Gor Mahia look unstoppable in their charge for the third successive KPL title as they return to Kisumu today, the town they won their 14th to title face Western Stima just three days after beating Sony Sugar.

In what is the highlight of the weekend, K’Ogalo can extend their lead in the league to 10 points as the chasing pack Thika United and Tusker will not be in action in the weekend.

It will take you 20 years back to find when Gor Mahia had such a fine run in the KPL. That season, Gor were seeking to win back the league title they had lost to Tusker in 1996 after winning it in 1995.

Sadly, after a fine run, they were to lose the title on the final day and the now defunct Utalii were crowned champions. But with the way K’Ogalo is playing so far despite the off pitch problems, it will take something special to stop them.

On Wednesday, they beat Sony Sugar in Awendo, a venue they had never won in five visits. And they did so despite travelling by road and arriving at 3am just 12 hours to kick off.

They now travel to Kisumu to face Western Stima, a team that had enjoyed a fair run of wins against. Stima last beat Gor Mahia two years ago in Mumias but Gor went on to win the title.

While Stima will be at home, Gor will be enjoying support as if they are the home team.

— Additional reporting by Supersport.com

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS