FKF-KPL TIFF BITES: Players from one half of divide feel pinch of uncertain status of top tier league

Bandari FC players walk out of the training pitch jointly with new trialists at the Mbaraki Sports ground after an early morning training session ahead of this year's Kenya Premier League, Tuesday January 06, 2015. The coach is yet to recruit new players from the trialists before naming the final team forr the league. [PHOTO BY GIDEON MAUNDU/STANDARD.

As the stand-off over the management of the top league continues, various stakeholders are already feeling the pinch and it threatens to get worse with both parties holding their ground. The biggest sufferers are players who are certain to miss out on their winning allowances.

With no matches being played, the players cannot expect to be paid any allowances either for a win or a draw. Normally, allowances make up a good percentage of what players take home at the end of the month and without it, they are bound to struggle.
Bandari goalkeeper Wilson Oburu estimates that close to 500 elite players missed allowances last weekend translating to millions of shillings.
“Most of us have families and it is these allowances that keep us going. It is disheartening that both parties are not concerned about what is good for us,” said Obungu.

Clubs are also losing out big time on gate collections. Gor Mahia deputy secretary general Ronal Ngala said the club gets close to Sh1 million per month in gate collections and stand to lose the same should the matter not be resolved soon.

“Now that we don’t have a shirt sponsor, we are relying mostly on gate collections to manage the team. Without any matches, we are losing out. We urge both parties to be quick in resolving this matter,” he said.
A top referee, who asked not to be named said they also stand to lose a lot if the impasse continues.

“We were looking forward to a great season after KPL increased our allowances. Now this is threatened by the stand-off. Some of us rely on this money to do many things and we are asking for a quick resolution,” he said.
Others feeling the pinch are various service providers, who make it possible for matches to go on.

According to Alfred Rafimbi head of operations at Big Brother Events and Ticketing, they are already feeling the pinch.

“The stand-off has affected our businesses. We’ve invested a lot in buying machine and employing staff ahead of the new season. So the more it drags the more we are losing money. We are not taking any side and for the sake of the players and the sponsors let both parties agree,” he said.

When Sofapaka and Mathare United settled for Machakos Municipal Stadium to host their home matches last season, it assured the facility increased revenue but with the stand-off, anxiety is building up in the county. Ken Ouma, Chief Officer Ministry of tourism, sports and culture, said they did not expect the stand-off to take this long.

“Frankly, we’ve been affected business-wise and we cannot be sure about earning what we got last year.”

The Sports Stadia Management Board (SSMB) communications officer Rakki Asman said while football matches bring in just a fraction of their revenues, the continued stand-off can still affect their bottom line if it is not resolved soon.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS