CECAFA slams Kenya's last-minute withdrawal tournament

Football
By Mike Kihaki | Jul 22, 2025
Sports CS Salim Mvurya, FKF president Hussein Mohamed and other officials with Harambee Stars players during the unveiling of 2024 CHAN team on July 10, 2025. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

The Council of East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA) has raised its disappointment after Kenya's Harambee Stars abruptly withdrew from the Four Nations Tournament just two days before kickoff.

The regional tournament, began on July 21, 2025, in Arusha, Tanzania, is going ahead without Kenya, who had already arrived in the host city and were scheduled to face Tanzania in the opening match.

CECAFA Secretary General Auka Gecheo said the Kenyan exit came as a shock, particularly after organisers had worked to address Football Kenya Federation's (FKF) requests in the lead-up to the tournament.

"We find the withdrawal of Kenya to be unfair, especially after extensive efforts were made to meet the federation's requests," Gecheo said in a statement.

"This was a tournament intended to help teams prepare for CHAN, and we had hoped to see Kenya participate fully."

Despite the setback, CECAFA confirmed the tournament will proceed with the remaining teams, hosts Tanzania, Uganda, and reigning African Nations Championship (CHAN) winners Senegal.

In its defence, FKF attributed the decision to concerns raised by the national team's technical bench, led by head coach Benni McCarthy.

According to the federation, the team assessed the conditions in Arusha and found them unsuitable for high-level training and match play.

"This decision has been made following recommendations and advice from the team's technical bench after a thorough assessment of the prevailing conditions, which were deemed unsuitable for the team's participation and overall preparation," FKF said in a statement.

The federation added that the withdrawal was made in the best interest of the Harambee Stars' long-term goals, particularly with the CHAN qualifiers looming.

"Our focus now shifts fully to ensuring optimal readiness for the CHAN qualifiers. We remain committed to providing the national team with the best possible environment to compete and represent the country with pride," FKF stated.

However, CECAFA say the issues raised had been addressed.

"It is unfortunate the decision came on July 21, when all reasonable concerns raised by FKF had been addressed earlier by CECAFA few hours to kick-off," Gecheo said.

These included changing Kenya team's hotel to one of their selection; ensuring full board accommodation and appropriate meals in line with dietary preferences; installing dedicated internet routers at the hotel for exclusive team use.

Kenya's exit marks the third withdrawal from the tournament after Sudan and Congo Brazzaville pulled out earlier, further thinning the competition's original roster.

Although the Harambee Stars travelled by air, the players have since returned to Nairobi by road and are expected to resume training in preparation for the 2025 CHAN tournament, which Kenya is set to co-host alongside Uganda and Tanzania.

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS