Wanyama set to leave Major Soccer League side CF Montreal

Football
By Mike Kihaki | Oct 05, 2022
Victor Wanyama to leave CF Montreal [Courtesy]

Former Harambee Stars captain Victor Wanyama has hinted he will leave Major Soccer League side CF Montreal at the end of the season.

Wanyama On Tuesday said that he will be leaving the club he has been part of since 2020 following his arrival from English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur on a three-year contract.

He had been with Tottenham since 2016, with prior stops at Southampton, Celtic, and Beerschot across Europe.

''Honestly, I think that this question has been long asked and the truth is that at the end of the season I will leave," he said.

" I had great years here, I enjoyed being part of the team. It's been great.

"At the end of the season I will be free to leave, but as long as I am here I will remain focused and make sure that we finish well, and from there I will have a chance to say goodbye,''

Wanyama made the move in 2020 after falling down the pecking order at Spur and joined Montreal.

He managed to hit the net five times to his side and assisted in 79 matches of which 77 were starts.

As the club transitioned, Wanyama played a pivotal role to fill the gap that was left by Thierry Henry and Wilfred Nancy.

It will be a big blow for Montreal and they are supposed to look for a replacement in the midfield as the former Harambee Stars Striker finally hangs his boots.

Wanyama who retired from international football a year ago, after 14 years stint with the national team, will be watched closely to see if he will pen another deal with another club or pursue another pathway.

The 31-year-old is CFM's only Designated Player (DP) at present and has been among the best midfielders in MLS this season.

In a team sitting second in the Eastern Conference, Wanyama ranks first among his teammates for tackles (76), pressures (417), and recoveries (299). Wanyama's current deal expires at the end of the 2022 MLS season but despite his importance to CF Montreal, it appears the former Celtic and Tottenham man will be playing elsewhere next season.

Alongside Wanyama, Montreal are likely to lose youngster Ismael Kone, who is drawing serious interest from Europe, while USMNT star Djordje Mihailovic is set to join Eredivisie side AZ Alkmaar.

Montreal have already confirmed a home match in the MLS Cup Playoffs but can confirm the top spot in the East and a free pass through the first round if they beat Inter Miami on Decision Day, coupled with the Philadelphia Union failing to beat Toronto FC.

He was part of the well-oiled midfield machine until injuries kicked in and have since struggled to stay fit.

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS