UEFA steps up fight against online racist abuse of players

Football
By Reuters | Jul 03, 2022
Official match ball displaying the logo of the UEFA Champions League, Mar 8, 2022. (Photo: Reuters

UEFA is to launch a programme to combat online racist abuse of footballers by working with social media companies to remove harmful content from platforms and raising awareness, it said on Sunday (Jul 3).

Europe's football governing body added that the programme, which will start at the Jul 6 to Jul 31 Women's European Championship, will work to "actively monitor, report and remedy" cases of online abuse.

England's Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were the targets of online racist abuse after they missed penalties in a 3-2 shootout loss to Italy in last year's European Championship final.

A report published by FIFA last month revealed that more than half of players at last year's European Championship and Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) were subjected to discriminatory abuse online.

"The respect programme targets concrete actions to prevent abusive online behaviour and discrimination during all of its final competitions, including youth, women's and men's competition final matches for the next three years," UEFA said in a statement.

"To ensure that harmful content is removed, UEFA is working directly with major social media platforms such as Twitter, Meta (Instagram and Facebook) and TikTok."

The programme will include a "Real Scars" campaign featuring footballers Wendie Renard, Jorginho and Alisha Lehmann.

That will "highlight the devastating effects of online abuse" and educate players, coaches and officials on how to defend themselves.

"When you say something on social media, you do not realise how painful it is or the consequences it can have," Renard said.

"It can leave a mark because we are all human, we all have emotions."

 

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS