UEFA supports ban on pirate sports websites in Kenya

Football
By Odero Charles | Jul 02, 2022

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) has welcomed the move by Kenya to ban pirate sports websites.

 This is after the High Court directed Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in Kenya last month to permanently bar unauthorised live sports streaming websites which infringe copyright.

 Efforts in the fight against the pirate websites began in late 2019 when MultiChoice Kenya filed a lawsuit requesting that ISPs restrict live sports streaming services on their networks.

Following an initial interim phase of the court process, the High Court, in June 23, imposed a permanent injunction compelling certain ISPs in Kenya to permanently block these sports pirate websites.

UEFA welcomed the ruling and notes that the making available footage of its competitions without authorisation is an infringement of its intellectual property rights.

“UEFA fully supports the injunction issued by the Kenya High Court to protect media rights owned by MultiChoice,” said UEFA marketing director, Guy-Laurent Epstein.

 “It is a major step forward in the fight against audiovisual piracy in the region. The protection of our intellectual property and the legitimate interests of our rights holders is a top priority for our organization.

 “This is a red-letter day in the fight against piracy in Africa,” said MultiChoice Kenya Managing Director, Nancy Matimu.

“We have been fighting for years to ensure that there are legal copyright protections and that those protections are enforced. The court has reaffirmed the stance of the law that copyright must be protected. With this verdict, Kenya is saying that any business looking to invest in Kenya can rest assured that their intellectual property will be protected.”

The resolution of the landmark case, and following submissions made by interested parties including UEFA, marks the first time that a Kenyan court has sanctioned the issuance of takedown notices under provisions of its copyright legislation, which are aimed at preventing unauthorised access to, and use of, creative works by means of the Internet.

 UEFA is pleased to see this principle, and the protection of its rights, has been robustly supported by the Kenyan courts of law.

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS