Jordi Bongard: Borussia Monchengladbach defender dies in car accident

Football
By Odero Charles | Feb 25, 2022
Borussia Monchengladbach star Jordi Bongard has died aged 20 [photo courtesy]

German football club Borussia Mönchengladbach are mourning the loss of Under-23 star Jordi Bongard.

The 20-year-old Bongard, who signed a professional contract with Gladbach last July, died in a traffic accident on Wednesday night, the club said.

Alongside a photo of Bongard, Borussia wrote on Twitter: ‘Borussia mourns the death of U23s player Jordi Bongard, who unfortunately died in a car accident last night. We would like to send our deepest condolences to his family and friends during this difficult time.Jordi will forever be in our thoughts and in our hearts!'

Borussia mourns the death of U23s player Jordi Bongard, who unfortunately died in a car accident last night. We would like to send our deepest condolences to his family and friends during this difficult time.

Jordi will forever be in our thoughts and in our hearts! ???? pic.twitter.com/q0A6RqWiHk — Gladbach (@borussia_en) February 24, 2022



On his part, the club’s sporting director Roland Virkus said: ‘We received this terrible news this morning and we are stunned. Our deepest sympathy and our thoughts are with Jordi’s family.’

In light of the defender's death, Borussia have cancelled all training sessions and press conferences that were due to be held on Thursday.

The defender joined Borussia at the age of 12 and worked his way through their youth ranks.

Bongard, who scored nine goals in 74 appearances for Borussia’s Under-17, Under-19 and Under-23 sides, was rewarded with his first professional contract in July of last year.

Bongard made 74 appearances for the Gladbach's youth side, scoring nine goals.

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS