Arteta says Spurs clash could be postponed over Arsenal absences

Football
By Reuters | Jan 14, 2022
January 13, 2022 Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta REUTERS

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said Sunday's North London derby against Tottenham Hotspur could be postponed as he may not have enough players available for the Premier League clash due to illness and injuries.

Granit Xhaka was ruled out of the match after picking up a red card in Thursday's 0-0 draw with Liverpool in the League Cup semi-final first leg while Cedric Soares, Bukayo Saka and Calum Chambers all sustained injuries.

Arsenal were without Thomas Partey, Mohamed Elneny, and Nicolas Pepe who are on international duty in Africa. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is also at the Africa Cup of Nations but has COVID-19 while Martin Odegaard is out with the illness.

Asked whether Sunday's game could be postponed, Arteta told reporters: "I don't know, it's a possibility.

"In every game, from our side, from the opponents' side, because of the amount of issues everyone is having and because it is happening every week.

"We try to prepare games thinking we are going to play. If something happens along the way, it is what it is."

The Premier League only grants a postponement if a club has fewer than 14 players -- 13 outfield players and one goalkeeper -- available, with the board examining requests on a case-by-case basis.

As many as 19 league matches have been postponed so far this season due to COVID-19 cases in a number of teams.

Arsenal are fifth in the league with 35 points from 20 matches while Tottenham are two points behind in sixth.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS