Two more Senegal players catch COVID during Africa Cup of Nations

Football
By Reuters | Jan 12, 2022
Paris St Germain midfielder Idrissa Gueye and AC Milan left back Fode Ballo-Toure [photo courtesy]

Two more Senegalese players have tested positive for COVID-19, the West African nation's soccer federation said on Wednesday, further reducing their Africa Cup of Nations squad.

Paris St Germain midfielder Idrissa Gueye and AC Milan left back Fode Ballo-Toure tested positive and will miss Senegal's second game in the tournament against Guinea scheduled for Friday, the statement said.

Six Senegalese players contracted COVID-19 before the team even left for Cameroon earlier this month. Then on Jan. 9, the day the 24-team tournament started, Senegal's football federation said that two more players - goalkeeper Edouard Mendy and striker Famara Diedhiou - were also positive.

"Saliou Ciss, Pape Matar Sarr and Nampalis Mendy will join the den this Thursday after a negative PCR test done today," the statement said.

Captain Kalidou Koulibaly, sidelined with the virus, could return for the Guinea game after receiving a negative test result on Tuesday. He will need another negative result on Thursday, a source in the team said.

Senegal, runners-up in the 2019 competition, narrowly won their first game on Monday against Zimbabwe, with Liverpool's Sadio Mane scoring a penalty deep into injury time. The team's third and final group game is against Malawi on Jan. 18.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS