David Luiz joins Brazilian club Flamengo

Football
By Xinhua | Sep 14, 2021
October 27, 2019 Arsenal's David Luiz reacts Action Images via Reuters

Veteran defender David Luiz said Monday that he still harbors hopes of a return to international football after joining reigning Brazilian Serie A champions Flamengo on a free transfer.

The comments came as Luiz was officially presented to the media as a Flamengo player, less than a week after he agreed to a 16-month contract with the Rio de Janeiro outfit.

"I am focused on Flamengo. The decision was made with a view to facing all of Flamengo's challenges. We want to win titles [but] if a player does not have the ambition to defend his country, he is in the wrong profession. I have the ambition," Luiz told a virtual news conference.

Capped 57 times, Luiz has not played for Brazil since taking part in a 4-0 win over Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in June 2017.

The 34-year-old is the third high-profile player to join Flamengo in the mid-year transfer window, following the arrivals of Andreas Pereira and Kenedy on loan deals from Manchester United and Chelsea, respectively.

Luiz has been without a club since parting ways with Arsenal in June. He had also been linked with Italian sides Lazio and Salernitana.

And the newcomer, @DavidLuiz_4 was already getting some work in.

Who's excited to see him on the pitch? #CRF #FLAEnglish

????@mcortesdasilva8 /CRF pic.twitter.com/6DaJZzxWXo — Flamengo (@Flamengo_en) September 13, 2021

He admitted that a viral social media campaign by Flamengo fans had been influential in his decision to join the club.

"It was a big factor. It was crazy to feel their support even though I still wasn't a Flamengo player," the former Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain center-back said. "It made me think a lot and helped me make my decision."

"I had several offers. Maybe I could have chosen a club offering [more money] but I like to do what I feel in my heart. I know I'm making the right decision," he added.

Flamengo, who have won the past two Brazilian top flight titles, are currently third in the top flight standings, eight points behind leaders Atletico Mineiro but with two games in hand.

 

Share this story
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS