Liverpool apologise after fans damage Real Madrid’s team bus

Football
By Reuters | Apr 16, 2021
Liverpool condemned fans who damaged Real Madrid’s bus ahead of kick-off [photo courtesy]

Merseyside Police said they have launched an investigation after the bus carrying Real Madrid players was damaged as it arrived at Anfield for Wednesday’s Champions League quarter-final second leg against Liverpool.

A video posted on Instagram showed Liverpool fans, some holding flares, booing the arrival of the bus. A video on Twitter showed a section of the bus’s outer window frame had been damaged.

"We can confirm an investigation is underway after damage was caused to the Real Madrid team bus ...," chief superintendent Zoe Thornton said in a statement here.

“Despite the advice to avoid attending the ground, approximately 400 people attended Anfield Road and as coaches approached, a number of items were thrown at the Real Madrid team bus.

“We are aware of https://cdn.standardmedia.co.ke/images which show the outer pane of the lead coach window being damaged, the glass did not break through and there are no reported injuries.

“A number of pyrotechnics were also lit in the area, which significantly reduced visibility and could have put other people in danger.”

Liverpool apologised to their Spanish opponents before the game for the incident.

“We condemn unequivocally the actions that led to Real Madrid’s team bus being damaged during its arrival to Anfield this evening. It is totally unacceptable and shameful behaviour of a few individuals,” the English club said in a statement.

“We sincerely apologise to our visitors for any distress caused.”

Real progressed to the semi-finals of the European competition after they held on for a goalless second-leg draw on Wednesday to complete a 3-1 aggregate win.

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS