West Ham United midfielder Soucek’s red card overturned after sent off by Mike Dean

Football
By Odero Charles | Feb 08, 2021
February 6, 2021 West Ham United's Tomas Soucek is shown a red card by referee Mike Dean [ REUTERS]

Tomas Soucek’s red card in Saturday's goalless Premier League draw at Fulham has been rescinded following a successful appeal from West Ham, the club said on Monday.

Soucek was dismissed after appearing to accidentally elbow Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic in the face, with referee Mike Dean issuing a red card after looking at the incident on the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) monitor.

West Ham on Sunday said they had appealed to the FA to rescind the red card.

"The appeal against Soucek’s red card was reviewed by an independent regulatory commission this morning at the Football Association and, following this process, the midfielder’s suspension has been rescinded and lifted with immediate effect," West Ham said in a statement.

February 6, 2021 West Ham United's Tomas Soucek in action [REUTERS]

Following the announcement, the 25-year-old took to social media and admitted that he was ‘glad’ that his red card was overturned.

“I am glad my red card against Fulham has been overturned,” he wrote. “I’ve checked it, I’ve gone over 200 games without a single red card. My entire career. I am looking forward to helping the team in the important games this week! Thanks for your support!” he wrote on Twitter.

I am glad my red card against Fulham has been overturned. I’ve checked it, I’ve gone over 200 games without a single red card. My entire career. I am looking forward to helping the team in the important games this week! Thanks for your support!#westham #whu #COYI pic.twitter.com/wANFeAFmhf — Tomáš Sou?ek (@tomassoucek28) February 8, 2021

The Czech midfielder will now be available for Tuesday's FA Cup fifth-round tie at Manchester United.

Last week, Southampton appealed and successfully rescinded Jan Bednarek's red card in their 9-0 loss at Manchester United after the defender was sent off by Dean.

Share this story
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS