Referee chiefs have confessed to mistakes in Sheffield United defeat- Ole Gunnar

Football
By Reuters | Feb 01, 2021
January 27, 2021 Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer [REUTERS]

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he has been informed by the refereeing body PGMOL that two costly errors were made by match officials during their 2-1 Premier League defeat by Sheffield United last week.

Solskjaer said the independent report as part of the match assessment by PGMOL revealed that Kean Bryan's opening goal for Sheffield United should have been chalked off for a foul on goalkeeper David De Gea.

Meanwhile, United forward Anthony Martial's goal was wrongly disallowed at the other end.

"The momentum shifted for us with the Sheffield United game, but I've got the delegates' report from the ref and the two decisions were wrong," Solskjaer told a news conference on Monday.

"They've admitted their goal should have been disallowed and our goal should have stood. That's a big, big momentum changer for us. When you go 1-0 up rather than 1-0 down, go on and win that game."

The defeat against Sheffield United followed by a goalless draw at Arsenal on the weekend left Soksjaer's United three points behind leaders Manchester City, who have a game in hand.

United are looking to bounce back against Southampton at Old Trafford on Tuesday, with Solskjaer hoping his attackers rediscover their "mojo" after firing blanks at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

January 27, 2021 Sheffield United's Oliver Burke celebrates scoring their second goal with Chris Basham [REUTERS]

"We created enough chances to score the goals now it's about feeling good, taking a deep breath and putting the ball between the posts," Solskjaer added.

Solskjaer said United will not be making any signings before the transfer deadline on Monday.

Phil Jones is yet to play a game this season due to injury but Solskjaer said the centre back will stay at Old Trafford and be registered in United's Premier League and European squads for the second half of the season.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS