Luis Suarez tests positive for COVID-19

Football
By Reuters | Nov 17, 2020
Uruguay's Luis Suarez looks dejected after the match [REUTERS/Darren Staples]

Atletico Madrid and Uruguay forward Luis Suarez has tested positive for COVID-19, the Uruguay national team said in a statement on Monday.

Uruguay’s statement said top scorer Suarez and stand-in goalkeeper Rodrigo Munoz plus a staff member had tested positive. Other members of the squad had all tested negative ahead of Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier at home to Brazil.

The statement added that both players and the staff member were in good health and said the team had followed protocol and taken the appropriate measures following the results.

Suarez, who scored a penalty in Uruguay’s 3-0 win over Colombia on Friday, is now ruled out of the match with Brazil.

Uruguay's Luis Suarez during the match [REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino]

He will almost certainly also miss his club’s La Liga match against his former club Barcelona on Nov 21.

The Uruguayan is Atletico’s joint-top scorer this season alongside Joao Felix, grabbing five goals since switching from Barca on a free transfer in September.

Suarez is the latest high-profile player to test positive for the virus during an international break, after Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah was infected while on duty with Egypt.

Last month, Cristiano Ronaldo tested positive while representing Portugal and was forced to miss several games for Juventus.

 

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS