Man Utd's Rashford apologises to fans after Spurs thrashing

Football
By Reuters | Oct 05, 2020
October 4, 2020 Manchester United's Marcus Rashford looks dejected Pool via REUTERS

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford has apologised to the club’s supporters following their 6-1 hammering by Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Spurs’ Son Heung-min and Harry Kane each scored twice as manager Jose Mourinho celebrated a victorious return to the club which sacked him 22 months ago.

The result at Old Trafford equalled United’s worst defeat in the Premier League era. They were previously beaten 6-1 by local rivals Manchester City in October 2011.

“First and foremost I’m a United fan. This is my club. I’m so proud to wear this shirt but there are no excuses, it’s just not good enough and to every single fan around the world that tuned in today, I’m just so sorry,” Rashford tweeted.

“You deserve so much better than that. I would have stayed away from social media tonight but you deserve to hear from me during the highs and the lows, there is no hiding.

“I feel horrible but I promise you we will do better.”

Defender Luke Shaw said the result was “embarrassing” and that the players had to take more responsibility.

“A club like United shouldn’t be losing, but losing in this way ... it really hurts and it is kind of embarrassing because I feel like we have let a lot of people down today who were watching at home,” Shaw told Sky Sports.

“We’re the players on the pitch and we need to have very high standards. The players we have, have quality but it hasn’t been showing.

“We need to look at ourselves in the mirror as individuals but as a team ... we’re nowhere near it at the moment.”

United visit Newcastle United in the league on Oct. 17 after the international break.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS