Mbappe sends transfer warning to PSG chiefs after Champions League heartbreak

Football
By Mirror | Sep 07, 2020
Champions League - Quarter Final - Atalanta v Paris St Germain - Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal - August 12, 2020 Paris St Germain's Neymar and Kylian Mbappe celebrate their second goal [David Ramos]

Kylian Mbappe has warned PSG chiefs the club must spend money on new recruits if they are to bounce back from their Champions League heartbreak next season.

The French striker featured in PSG's 1-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in last month's final which still leaves the club chasing a first European Cup.

And while superstar forward Neymar has pledged to stay at PSG for at least another season, Mbappe feels fresh additions are needed to mount another serious challenge.

"Of course I am optimistic that we will win the Champions League. We have to because, if we don't believe it, no one is going to believe it for us," Mbappe told Telefoot .

"It's football and you have to get over it. Lots of teams lost a final and won the year after. Obviously, PSG grew up with this final. Before, we had this block of the quarter-finals, now we broke that.

"You have to recruit well, you have to buy players. I hope we will have good recruits and that we can restart the season with the aim of doing better."

One player they will not be adding to their ranks this summer is six-time Ballon d'Or winner Lionel Messi.

PSG were linked with a move for the Argentine forward after he initially requested to leave Barcelona, only to announce he would be staying for another season.

PSG's Kylian Mbappe shouts in pain after being tackled during the French Cup soccer final match between Paris Saint Germain and Saint Etienne at Stade de France stadium, in Saint Denis, north of Paris, Friday July 24, 2020. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

They are said to be tracking Arsenal full-back Hector Bellerin though, while finding a replacement for the departed Thiago Silva is also a priority.

Mbappe himself is fighting to be fully fit for the start of the new campaign after admitting he had been playing through an injury, which could rule him out of Tuesday's match between France and Croatia.

"My ankle still hurts, but it's going to be like that for many weeks," he added.

"I wanted to play the Champions League final at all costs. The staff have taken care of me, it's a matter of time now.

"I'm still getting ready to play but the coach will decide [if I can play on Tuesday]. If the coach wants me to play, it will be with great pleasure, there is nothing better than a game with your country."


 

Share this story
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS