Coaches urge govt to take firm stand on elections

Football
By Ernest Ndunda | Aug 15, 2020
[Courtesy]

Kenya Football Coaches Association (Kefoca) has urged the State to step in and provide guidance on the way forward to the ailing Kenyan football.

“We need proper structures put in place so that we can have an all-inclusive election. We don’t need any elections until proper structures are put in place. Elections are not a priority in our ever ailing football,” said association Secretary Bob Oyugi.

“We must protect Kenyan football at all costs and that is why as football stakeholders, we are petitioning the government not to sit on the fence and instead stand firm to ensure proper football elections are held according to the federation’s constitution,” added the Brazilian trained coach.

Oyugi, who was awarded the Honor of State Commendation (HSC) by the Head of State said: “Football leadership must respect the laws of the land, and discipline must be enforced for the future of our young talents.”

FKF President Nick Mwendwa. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Association chairman Ricky Solomon said the government is a major stakeholder and needs to be fully involved in the election process to ensure all the interested candidates and clubs were allowed to participate in the poll.

“We don’t want to see the election cancelled as it has happened previously. We want an all-inclusive election that will end the current stalemate,” said Solomon.

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Electoral Board announced that County elections will be on September 17 with the national elections set for October 17. The Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) has twice nullified the intended elections, first on December 3 last year and on March 17 this year, citing the flouting of the Fifa Standard Electoral Code, FKF and the Constitution of Kenya. However, as the electoral board prepares to keep guidelines for the pending election, two presidential candidates Lordvick Aduda and Tom Alila called for compliance with SDT ruling.

Aduda said: “What has forced Fifa to change and give FKF the green light to have the electoral board go ahead with elections before the planned football stakeholders meeting?” Alila posed.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS