Footballer arrested for 'trying to blackmail his manager'

Football
By Mirror | Nov 06, 2019

 

A professional footballer has been arrested on suspicion of blackmailing his manager. [Courtesy]

A professional footballer has been arrested for allegedly trying to blackmail his manager.

The 34-year-old player is said to have tried to help take thousands of pounds from his manager by making threats about his wife and children, in relation to a betting account.

The footballer, who cannot be named due to legal reasons, has now been released by the club after he was arrested on suspicion of blackmail.

The player, who denies the allegations, is also accused of telling the people chasing the money the location of the manager on the nights before away games.

The footballer has been arrested on suspicion of blackmailing his manager. [Courtesy]

He was questioned by detectives and has since been bailed - with two police forces assisting in the investigation.

A spokesperson for the force leading the probe told the Daily Mail: "Detectives investigating an allegation of blackmail arrested a 34-year-old man on suspicion of blackmail. He has been released under investigation while enquiries continue."

The star was caught in bed with a woman, Natalie Wood, who was not his partner after Nathan Coleman and Prince Rowe burst into his hotel room.

It was alleged the men planned to film the pair to sell the story. But they gave evidence that they just went to see if it really was the footballer in question.

A jury heard the men burst into the room, causing the football player - clad only in underwear - to jump out of a window and escape from a fire escape.

The blackmail is alleged regarding a betting account. [Courtesy]

The player, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, received a message from Wood threatening to expose him. The player, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, received a message from Wood threatening to expose him. Nathan, 38, brother Tyrone, 34, and Rowe were acquitted of conspiracy to blackmail following a trial. Nathan was also acquitted of three theft charges.

Rowe, 37, of Birmingham, was convicted of two counts of theft, over a tracksuit and £24,000 Rolex watch left by the star.

Wood – who previously admitted ­blackmail – will be sentenced with Rowe next month.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS