Betway reveals why they are not in operation after getting betting license

Football
By Odero Charles | Jul 29, 2019

Last week on Monday, Betway was among 10 compliant betting companies that got their licenses renewed after paying their taxes.

However, seven days later, the betting firm has not resumed its operations despite meeting the set regulations.

We, therefore, decided to seek answers from them on why they are not back in full operation.

When contacted, the betting firm said that they are waiting for feedback from the government to know when exactly they can fully resume their services.

“Hi Game Yetu, thank you for contacting Betway. Please note that as it is we have just been cleared by the Revenue authorities, however, we are waiting for feedback from all the relevant authorities to know when exactly we can fully resume our services,” read part of the statement.

On revealing when they will be back in full operation, the betting firm said: “Kindly bear with us as we work on getting all our functions back online and fully operational. We will keep you updated, we thank you for your continued patience and loyalty with Betway.”

Apart from Betway, others cleared are Mozolt Bet, Odi bet, Eastleigh bet, Lucky to you, Ken book makers, Bet boss, Kick off, Easi bet and Palms bet.

The 10 betting firms were among 27 firms, whose licenses were revoked by the Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i for non-compliance.

SportPesa and Betin are among the biggest firms whose licenses have not been renewed by the government.

The matter is currently in court, but there seems to be no end in sight at the moment over the stand-off.

A multi-agency team set up by the Government established the betting companies made about Sh201 billion in 2018 yet they remitted Sh4 billion in taxes.

State records say annual turnover in the industry rose from Sh2 billion to over Sh200 billion in the last five years.

The crackdown started in May when the government deported 17 other foreigners and also the state suspended their online payment services of affected betting firms for allegedly failing to comply with industry rules.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS