Star defender Koscielny takes legal advice in bitter contract row with Arsenal

Football
By Mirror | Jul 18, 2019
Laurent Koscielny wants to return to France on a free transfer. [Courtesy]

Laurent Koscielny is taking legal advice after claiming his wages will be cut in HALF in his bitter contract row with Arsenal.

Koscielny, 33, and his representatives are due to meet club officials this weekend to try and resolve the issue and force a move away from the Emirates.

Gunners captain Koscielny has gone on strike by missing the club’s US tour but the ex-France defender is angry after negotiations over a new deal.

Koscielny has only got 12 months left on his £100,000-a-week deal, wanted an extra year with the club insisting there was no automatic extension clause.

Arsenal were willing to give Koscielny an extra year with a guaranteed free transfer next summer if he decided to leave and they insist if he remains a regular then he could end up earning more.

But it would be on a lower basic with performance incentives and bonuses and the veteran centre half insists it effectively cuts his basic wage in half and the way the deal is structured leaves him out of pocket.

That has caused the ructions behind the scenes and there now appears no way back with Arsenal insisting he trains with the under-23s and he is facing disciplinary action with a heavy fine for missing the US trip.

Koscielny is digging his heels in and now wants to return to France with Bordeaux offering a three year contract - but only if he is a free agent and that is now a sticking point. Lyon are also keen.

Arsenal are fuming with Koscielny who made it plain he did not want to train even before refusing to fly to the United States with the rest of the squad.

But it is the contract wrangle which is the reason why former team mates Olivier Giroud and Mathieu Flamini have both come out and publicly supported him because it is the talk among players.

Arsenal have been contacted for comment but are yet to respond.

Former Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has admitted his “surprise” at the situation with Arsenal gaining a growing reputation for being tough on contracts with negotiator Huss Fahmy determined to drive tough deals.

Arsenal appear to be planning for life after Koscielny as they are looking for a senior centre half on their shopping list with Olympiacos defender Pape Abou Cisse on the list.

They are closing in on St Etienne’s William Saliba and even though he will be loaned back, he is rated as a massive prospect. Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos, Celtic defender Kieran Tierney and Wilfried Zaha are also wanted.

Gunners boss Unai Emery has also highlighted the importance of the club’s young players and the influence of coach Freddie Ljungberg who has been promoted from the under-23s to the first team and has already identified one player with potential.

Emery said: “Our responsibility in this club for the history, present and future is to give young players a chance. If they deserve minutes they'll get minutes. I’m very happy with them and their work.

“We worked last year with Steve Bould, Freddie with the Under-23s. We changed because for them it was a good option. Very positive.

“With Freddie we are working. Above all he's helping us with the young players because he knows better than us every young player.

“For example Robbie [Burton], I didn't know Robbie. Freddie said to me he's a good player with the capacity to play as a 6 or 8. Really he helped us like we needed.”

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS