Jose Mourinho offered top European job

Football
By Mirror | May 20, 2019
Ex-Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho [Courtesy]

Celtic reportedly made a sensational attempt to appoint Jose Mourinho as the club's new manager.

The Portuguese coach has been without a club since his unceremonious sacking as Man Utd boss back in December.

Neil Lennon has taken over the reins at Celtic Park until the end of the season, but it appears the club's board has other ideas going forward.

Former Hoops striker Chris Sutton revealed as much to BT Sport, when he suggested his old club had approached Mourinho about the role.

Sutton said: "It’s so tough to stand here and say who will be the next Celtic manager because it’s a big job.

"There’s going to be a lot of managers in for it.

“Mourinho was heavily linked and I’m led to believe that there was something in that in terms of there being an offer.

“But why would he take the Celtic job? I just don’t get it.

“I don’t know the exact terms but there was an offer.”

Lennon has done an admirable job of steadying the ship since former Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers departed suddenly for Leicester.

The club now stands on the brink of an illustrious treble treble, with only a Scottish Cup final with Hearts to overcome.

Nevertheless, the proposition is not thought to be one that will entice Mourinho, who will have no shortage of options available to him.

Wherever his next move takes him, the 56-year-old made it clear he hopes to return to the dugout sooner rather than later.

Mourinho said previously: "I have a lot of qualities and one of them is to respect other clubs and their management.

"I have never spoken like 'this club wanted me, they contacted me.'

"When I left Manchester United in December, I immediately took the decision I want to work from summer.

"I hope to be back to work in July in a project I really like."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS