Football: Bayern pay club record fee for World Cup winner Hernandez

Football
By AFP | Mar 27, 2019
Lucas Hernandez is one of the most expensive players ever signed by a German club [Courtesy]

Atletico Madrid and France defender Lucas Hernandez will join Bayern Munich for 80 million euros ($90m) this summer, the German club announced on Wednesday.

The 23-year-old World Cup winner will sign a five-year contract starting on July 1, Bayern said in a statement.

The 80 million euro fee makes him the most expensive signing in Bayern's history, almost doubling the sum paid for Corentin Tolisso.

It also makes Hernandez one of the most expensive defenders in history, and one of the most expensive players ever signed by a German club.

"I am very happy that we have managed to sign Lucas Hernandez, who is a World Cup winner and one of the best defensive players in the world," said Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.

"Lucas can play in central defence or at left-back. He will strengthen our team and continue the tradition of fantastic French players at our club."

The announcement is the latest sign that Bayern are planning a major squad overhaul this summer.

Bayern were knocked out of the Champions League in the round of 16 and earlier this month, club president Uli Hoeness declared that Bayern were launching the "biggest programme of investment the club has ever seen".

In January, Bayern announced that Hernandez's fellow France defender Benjamin Pavard would join from Stuttgart this summer for 35 million euros ($40m). Hamburg's 19-year old striker Jann Fiete Arp will also complete a move to Munich by the summer of 2020.

The new arrivals could push some more familiar faces towards the exit door. Veteran wingers Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery are expected to finally end their Bayern careers this summer, and there is speculation that further big names may also leave.

Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng, both recently axed from the German national team set-up, will face a fight for their place in the Bayern team after the arrival of fellow defenders Hernandez and Pavard.

Hernandez has had a knee problem for a while. He has not played for Atletico since Feb 9 and missed France's recent internationals.

Bayern said that he would undergo an operation on Wednesday after a medical exam revealed a problem with his knee.

"Our medical examination revealed damage to Lucas Hernandez' right knee, which will have to be operated on," said Bayern team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt, confirming that Hernandez would, nonetheless, be fit to play by the start of next season.

Hernandez signed for Atletico Madrid as a youth player in 2007 and has made 110 senior appearances for the club since his first-team debut in April 2014. Last summer, he was a key player in France's World Cup-winning campaign.

"This is a very important day in my footballing career," said Hernandez.

"Bayern are one of the best clubs in the world. I will be proud to compete for all titles for Bayern in the future."

"I would like to thank Atletico, the management, the coaches, my teammates and the fans for 12 wonderful years in Madrid," he said.

"Atletico will always be a part of me, but I am now happy to be making the next step at Bayern."

 

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS