Costa wanted in the Chinese Super League last month

Football
By Mirror | Feb 27, 2017

Chelsea reportedly rejected a world record offer for Diego Costa which caused the striker's January dispute with club bosses.

Chinese Super League side Tianjin Quanjin allegedly offered €107million (£90.3million) for Costa's services last month.

Reports in France from SFR Sport claim that Costa was offered a salary of over £85million in return for a three-year contract.

Spanish talisman Costa was dropped by Chelsea for the trip to Leicester after reports that a mega-money offer was on the table.

Blues bosses, however, insisted that it was down to a minor injury.

Tianjin owner Shu Yuhui confirmed in January that talks had been held between himself and Jorge Mendes, Costa's agent.

"I made an appointment with Mendes and he came to my hometown to visit me. At that time, we were interested in signing Costa," he said.

"PSG told us Cavani would only be allowed to leave in June, even though the player himself was willing to join us.

"The same can be said for Costa because Chelsea would only let him leave in June. However, the new season of CSL will almost reach the halfway stage in June, we can't wait so long."

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is shelving all talk over Costa's future until the end of the season.

Earlier this week there were suggestions that Costa had been offered a bumper new deal with the club, but Conte refused to discuss such reports preferring instead to stay focused on the present.

"I don't know about this situation," said Conte earlier this month.

"I think now it's very important to be focused on the present and not to look so far forward.

"At the end of the season we will see the situation."

 

Share this story
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS