Former England star Troubled Gascoigne back in rehab

Football
By AFP | Jan 06, 2017
Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne (Photo: Rui Vieira/PA Wire)

Former England star Paul Gascoigne has gone into rehab to try to "get free of his demons" and attempt to win his battle with alcohol, his agent said on Friday.

A statement on the Facebook page of Gascoigne's representatives, A1 Sporting Speakers, confirmed his latest attempt to get professional help.

This comes just over a week after the 49-year-old suffered a fractured skull after allegedly being kicked down a staircase in a London hotel.

Last year he was said to have been left devastated by the death of his 22-year-old nephew, Jay Kerrigan-Gascoigne, following a long-running battle with mental health issues.

The statement issued in the name of Terry Baker said: "Paul wants to let everyone know that he has gone into rehab. We have spent nearly every day helping him through his annus horribilis since Jay passed away.

"He is making a serious effort to get free of his demons and trying to become alcohol-free for 2017. I'm not religious at all but if any of you are, say a prayer for him."

The former Newcastle and Tottenham midfielder, who earned 57 England caps, has battled alcoholism for more than 20 years.

Posting on Twitter after the incident at the Ace Hotel in Shoreditch, Gascoigne said: "Hi everyone I got jumped kicked down the stairs I've got 15 stitches in my head I've a fractured skull 2 broken fingers 8 teeth nicked."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS