Arsene Wenger admits that Arsenal are “not ready” for the new season

Football
By Mirror | Aug 15, 2016
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger looks dejected Action Images via Reuters

Arsene Wenger admits his Arsenal side aren’t ready for the new season – and he doesn’t know when they WILL be.

The Gunners were booed off on Sunday after losing 4-3 to Liverpool , their third opening-weekend home defeat in four seasons.

Boss Wenger was forced to field an inexperienced centre-back pairing of Calum Chambers and Premier League debutant Rob Holding.

Per Mertesacker and Gabriel Paulista are out injured for four months and six to eight weeks, respectively.

Laurent Koscielny, as well as team-mates Olivier Giroud and Mesut Ozil, was deemed not ready after only returning to training last week following an extended run with their countries at this summer's European Championship.

Wenger said: “We are not ready, physically.

"You are in a catch-22 situation with the Euros, whether you give the players a rest who need it.

“We are not ready because we had many players at the Euros who stayed very late – Aaron Ramsey, Ozil, Koscielny, Giroud, they went to the semi-finals (at least).”

When it was put to Wenger that he can’t afford to wait until the end of August to be ready and fans would expect them to be ready for the opening day of the season, he said: “I agree with you. But we are not stupid.

“We prepare the players we have in well but as well, you have to consider that we have been a bit unlucky.

“We have lost Mertesacker and Gabriel in the preparation, and Koscielny is not fit.

“You sometimes have to accept that you cannot control absolutely everything even if you try to be as intelligent as possible.”

Alex Iwobi limped off with a thigh injury just before fellow midfielder Ramsey was forced off with a hamstring problem to cap a miserable day for the Gunners.

Wenger, whose next match is away to champions Leicester, added: “I don’t know (when we will be ready). We have to be ready next week, because we go to Leicester.

“We see first what we can do with the players who are preparing at the moment and how many players are injured today.

"Can they recover today? I don’t know.”

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS