Arsenal manager Wenger has no regrets about ‘little push’ on Mourinho

Football
By AFP | Oct 06, 2014
 

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has attempted to play down his touchline confrontation with Chelsea counterpart Jose Mourinho during his side's Premier League 0-2 loss to the Blues.

The two men clashed in front of the dug-outs after Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez went down under a challenge from Gary Cahill mid-way through the first half, with Wenger pushing Mourinho in the chest.

The two men were separated by fourth official Jonathan Moss -- Mourinho telling Wenger to "back off" -- but although the Frenchman could now face disciplinary action from the Football Association, he made light of the incident.

Asked if he regretted pushing Mourinho, Wenger told his post-match press conference: "No. What is to regret after that?

"I wanted to go from A to B and somebody confronted me in between without any sign of welcome. B was Sanchez, to see how badly he was injured."

Wenger has a history of bad blood with Mourinho, who has never been beaten by the Arsenal manager in 12 encounters and has branded him a "specialist in failure".

"Honestly I don't listen to what he says," Wenger said.

"Look, I trust you that you (the media) will teach me all the moral lessons over the next three weeks. And I can accept that."

Wenger said that his push had been "a little one", adding: "I can try to push you. You can see when I really try to push."

The two men did not shake hands at the final whistle, with Mourinho heading down the tunnel first, but the Chelsea manager said he had "no problem" with Wenger despite their altercation.

"Forget that. A football pitch is a football pitch, so no problem," he said.

"It becomes heated because this is a big game, big clubs, big rivals, (an) important match for both teams. These conditions make a game of emotions.

"There are two technical areas: one for me, one for him. He was coming to my technical area and he was not coming for the right reasons.

"He was not coming to give some tactical instructions or something. He was coming to press the referee to give a red card (to Cahill) and I didn't like that."

The provocative Mourinho is no stranger to controversy, while Wenger has been involved in similar incidents with Alan Pardew, who was managing West Ham United at the time, and former Tottenham Hotspur coach Martin Jol.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS