Ukrainian Forces hit Russia-occupied Makiivka

Europe
By VOA | Jul 06, 2023
A local resident stands inside a shop he rents, which was destroyed by recent shelling in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, in Makiivka, outside Donetsk, in a Russian-controlled part of eastern Ukraine, June 2, 2023. [Reuters]

The Ukrainian military said Tuesday it destroyed a formation of Russian forces in the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine.

Ukraine said the attack happened in the Russian-occupied area of Makiivka.

Russian officials said the Ukrainian attack killed one civilian and wounded 36 others.

Ukraine and Russia traded accusations that the other side is planning to attack the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in southeastern Ukraine.

The site has been at the center of such fears for much of the conflict since Russia invaded in February 2022. The United Nation's nuclear watchdog agency has repeatedly warned about the potential for catastrophe with shelling taking place in the area that both Russia and Ukraine blamed on each other.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he discussed the issue in a phone call with French President Emmanuel Macron.

"The whole world must now realize that common security depends entirely on global attention to the actions of the occupiers at the plant. Russia must clearly realize that the world sees what scenarios terrorists are preparing for, and the world is ready to respond," Zelenskyy said in his nightly address Tuesday. "Radiation is a threat to everyone in the world, and the nuclear power plant must be fully protected from any radiation incidents."

An adviser to the head of the Russian entity that operates Russia's nuclear network accused Ukraine of planning to use "high-precision, long-range weapons" to carry out an attack on the Zaporizhzhia plant.

The Zaporizhzhia plant is Europe's largest nuclear power plant and has been under Russian control since the early weeks of its invasion.

International Atomic Energy Agency Director-General Rafael Grossi said in a statement Tuesday that the plant had lost connection to is main external power line, meaning it had to switch to a backup to get the electricity needed for "essential nuclear safety and security functions."

"This time the plant avoided a complete loss of all external power - which has happened seven times previously during the conflict - but the latest power line cut again demonstrates the precarious nuclear safety and security situation at the plant," Grossi said in a statement.

The plant has experienced repeated power cuts and has also had the availability of water needed for cooling activities threatened by the destruction of the Kakhovka dam in early June.

Share this story
Mintos proves too good for his rivals at ICPAK tournament
Fast-rising Mombasa golfer Tony Mintos emerged the overall winner of the ICPAK after beating a team of 170 players at the Nyali Golf and Country Club
Preparations in top gear for UFAK Region East Championship
Preparations are in top gear as the Kenya Karate Federation prepares to host the prestigious UFAK Region East Karate Championship 2026 from May 28 to 31 at Nyayo Gymnasium.
Topik make a good start at Timau Stores Challenge Cup
Topik hammered Engeo 8-2 to make a good start at the Timau Stores Challenge Cup at Northern Kenya Polo Club in Timau yesterday.
Lionesses renew rivalry with Uganda as Africa Cup kicks off
Kenya plays Uganda today as the Lionesses hunt for the Rugby Africa title
Mustard Seed School swimmers reap big in Nakuru Gala
It was a tale of good harvest as Mustard Seed School reaped big in the Kenya Aquatic Association Nakuru Swimming Gala at Mustard Seed International School yesterday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS