CS Magoha tells contractors to complete school projects before elections

Education
By Robert Amalemba | May 19, 2022

Education CS Prof George Magoha (right) confers with Butere Girls High School Principal Ms Jenipher Omondi when he toured the school for the opening of construction of four classrooms and a laboratory. [Mumo Munuve, Standard]

Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha has asked contractors to complete construction of classrooms and laboratories before President Uhuru Kenyatta leaves office.

Speaking at Butere Girls' High School, the CS said the project which was to ease pressure on school infrastructure in line with the 100 per cent primary to secondary transition faces delays.

"It was painful for politics to drag such a noble project but I thank President Kenyatta for standing firm and ensuring it is back on track," he said.

Prof Magoha said the Sh8 billion infrastructure project targeting secondary schools in 110 sub-counties was targeted by cartels.

“Cartels were planning to steal Sh2 billion. They wanted us to build classrooms in schools that had enough classrooms so that when the State allocates funds, they are syphoned but we stopped them,” he said yesterday.

The project targets to benefit 600,000 pupils in upper primary and 600,000 students in secondary. “We found out that schools with nine classrooms had been awarded extra nine classrooms. We opted to give the classrooms to deserving schools,” he said.

The CS said some contractors had exaggerated the cost of materials. Meanwhile, Magoha asked ministry officials to carry out a mop up exercise following report of students failing to join secondary schools.

Share this story
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS