Get to negotiating table and end teachers' strike

Sports
By Editorial | Sep 02, 2024
Nakuru Kuppet members in solidarity songs during their Nationwide strike on August 26, 2024. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

The ongoing nationwide strike by Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (Kuppet) members enters its second week today, with no solution in sight. The prospects of a prolonged strike when the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) candidates need their teachers the most are depressing.

And seemingly, Jogoo House is not taking this matter as seriously as it should. It is not enough for Education CS Julius Ogamba to say the government has released Sh18.7 billion to hire intern teachers and Sh13.5 billion to implement the second phase of the 2021-2025 CBA, and that the government is committed to uplifting education standards if these efforts do not end the strike.

Whatever reasons have made the teachers refuse to go back to class should be addressed or discussions held with the union immediately to end the industrial action. From the outset, it appeared as if the problem was the late implementation of the 2021-2025 CBA, which the government honoured by releasing the required funds.

The Kenya National Union of Teachers which had earlier indicated it would join Kuppet in the strike called it off following the release of the funds. However, Kuppet moved the goalposts, demanding the employment of Junior Secondary School teachers on permanent and pensionable terms. Looking out for colleagues is commendable, but should it be at the expense of students who are losing out on studies even after paying fees?

Sadly, a court order directing Kuppet to call off the strike has been defied.

Secondary school students, but more so KCSE candidates, need their teachers back in class to put on the final touches ahead of the national examinations that begin next month. As we said here last week, the learning of this cohort of students was disrupted in 2020 by Covid-19 and we should not let the grandstanding between the government and teachers to disrupt their learning again.

Both sides in the dispute should obey court orders and show commitment to genuine dialogue to end this strike that threatens to ruin the future of our children.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS