REVEALED: Harambee Stars yet to be paid months after trip to India

Football
By Chrisphine Magak | Sep 14, 2018
Harambee Stars starting eleven in a previous match [COURTESY]

Football Kenya Federation has not paid Harambee Stars players, who took part in the 2018 Intercontinental Cup tournament held in India their dues from the Sh2.5 million prize money awarded for emerging the first runner-up. Kenya had a comprehensive squad of 21 players at the tournament held between June 1 and 10.

One of the players explained to The Nairobian that the agreement was that the federation gets half of the Sh2.5 million and the other half was to be shared amongst the players. This means every player was to receive about Sh119,000. But three months down the line, no payment has been made.

“Hatujalipwa anything hadi wa leo,” a player who sought anonymity for fear of victimisation told The Nairobian. Another player also expressed his frustrations about the issue saying that he had planned for the money. “We have not received what was supposed to be shared amongst us after emerging number two in the tournament. It hurts because some of my projects cannot run,” he said.

The Nairobian sought a reaction from Football Kenya Federation head of communication Barry Otieno who said: “India sent the prize money, but not as prompt as was expected. It is however unfortunate that we have not been able to transfer the money to players’ accounts because we’re having problems accessing the money because of issues to do with the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA). We’re working round the clock to ensure players get what is rightfully theirs.”

Kenya players chase down India striker in a past friendly [Courtesy]

Barry said that only allowances for two players -Jockins Atudo and Clifton Miheso - who registered stellar performances at the tournament, had been paid. Atudo has confirmed the same to The Nairobian.

“Yes,nililipwa allowance yangu, for being Man of the Match,” he said.

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS