Sports Secretary Japhter Rugut leads mediation in rugby as government moves in

Rugby
By FeverPitch Reporter | Feb 18, 2015
Bush Mwale #5 of Kenya outruns Ramiro Finco #6 of Argentina to score a try during the USA Sevens Rugby tournament at Sam Boyd Stadium on February 15, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Kenya won 24-21. Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP

Sports Secretary Japhter Rugut was yesterday appointed to lead mediation between Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) factions.

Some 30 clubs met last week (Tuesday) and resolved to send the entire KRU board packing, and have a former vice chairman, Sasha Mutai, named to lead an interim committee to run the sport for a year and organise elections.

But the Government took charge of the sport yesterday and appointed Rugut to spearhead mediation between Mutai’s side and the one led by acting chairman Gabriel Ouko.

“Yes we met both boards today - the KRU board and the one which purportedly came into office. A decision was made that we should set a date next week to try and bring them together,” Rugut told FeverPitch.

“I was appointed to lead the mediation process and we hope for the best. The decision to agree on the way forward will have to come from them,” he said. The meeting was chaired by Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario.

 

WEEKS OF TENSION

The special general meeting was the culmination of weeks of tension in KRU during which four leading officials, including chairman Mwangi Muthee, resigned. The Patrons Society also raised issues regarding the management of the sport and blamed certain officials of conducting themselves inappropriately.

Meanwhile, the Kenyan team that took part in the Las Vegas Sevens is expected to return this morning. The team will arrive at 6am and head to Ole Sereni Hotel for breakfast, officials said.

The team maintained their 12th position in the IRB World Series after bagging eight points. Kenya won the Bowl competition after beating Argentina 24-21, taking the tally to 29 with four legs remaining.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS