Kirinyaga police recalled after 23 die, 20 go blind over illicit brew
Central
By
Fred Kagonye
| Feb 09, 2024
All State officers in charge of the Kirinyaga County area where 23 people and 20 others went blind after consuming illicit brew have been recalled.
The announcement was made by Interior CS Professor Kithure Kindiki on X (formerly Twitter).
Kindiki said that this includes Senior law enforcement and National Government Enforcement officers who worked and were in charge of Kangai village in Mwea East.
"The Government has recalled senior law enforcement and National Government Administration officers who by conduct or misconduct may have contributed to the recent loss of lives occasioned by the consumption of an illicit toxic brew in Kirinyaga County, Central region," said Kindiki.
READ MORE
Bishop questions Sh11.9 trillion public debt as hardship bites
Greedy developers and corrupt county leaders killing our cities
2025 KCSE: Boys outshine girls in Maths, Biology, Chemistry
Intra-African trade hits Sh28.8tr, but AfCFTA rollout lags
Kenyan jailed in US over terror plot akin to Sept 11
Kenyan Al-Shabaab member sentenced to life in US for September 11-style plot
Kenya ups local production of home appliances
Cytonn, creditors suffer a streak of losses at the Court of Appeal
Stakeholders warn of textbook crisis ahead of Grade 10 rollout
The CS said the transfers are immediate and that investigations into the incident had been launched.
"Relevant agencies are directed to immediately initiate inquiries upon which appropriate administrative action will ensue those found culpable," he added.
The owner of the bar where the brew was gotten from John Muriithi Karaya was arraigned in court and it was directed that he be detained for 20 days in order for police to conclude investigations.
He is currently being held at the Kiamaciri Police Station and the case will be mentioned on March 7, 2024.
Area residents took matters into their own hands and torched the bar.